The BioSonar is a truly intelligent sonar system, which provides an innovative, technological solution to many of the problems associated with underwater sensing.
72% of Earth’s surface is covered with water and the challenges of finding, identifying and characterizing anything which lies underwater are daunting. The marine environment is difficult to access and dangerous to operate in. For an increasing range of complex tasks, traditional sensing approaches provide only partial information and often may not work at all. New sensors are needed to solve these challenges.
In order to develop the best sonar apparatus we took our inspiration from the best natural sonar systems: dolphin sonar. Dolphins are highly proficient in the tasks we need to address in marine environments. Having learned from the dolphins’ million years of evolution in developing the most capable sensors on the planet, we offer an approach fundamentally different to conventional sonar systems. In existing systems the information we use for identification and recognition of objects is thrown away in the process of image formation.
By retaining all of the echo information, we can effectively look inside an object to determine its structure and composition. This dramatically improves object recognition and diagnostic potential.
- True recognition from wideband responses
- Intelligent pulse control
- Information on internal characteristics
- Onboard processing for real time custom applications
- 1.6 GHz Intel Atom processor
- 250 GB SSD internal storage
- Up to Gb ethernet comms
- 100baseTX wet-pluggable ethernet connection
- Scalable architecture
- Compact system suitable for range of platforms
- Up to four channels at full data rate
- Modular design for easy upgrade path
- Complements existing sensor suites
To visualise: where standard sonar produces black and white images, we provide contextual ‘colour’, additional information identifying, for example, seabed types or man-made objects.